Released without any warning on 17th June, Keeping Children Safe in Education 2020 was published. Expressions of disappointment were clear from a variety of agencies who had awaited a number of additional updates to this statutory guidance for the education sector which were outlined within the KCSIE 2020 consultation draft.
The government have been clear that the coronavirus pandemic resulted in this guidance being released and a further consultation period to be undertaken in September 2020 at the point where this guidance comes in to force. There are, however some notable changes to the 2019 edition.
These areas include:
- mental health
- whole school safeguarding culture
- emphasising the important role of governing bodies in robust safeguarding
- information about child criminal exploitation and child sexual exploitation
- supply staff included in safeguarding concerns re: staff/volunteers
- children who have a social worker
- Data Protection: toolkit for schools
- RSHE – opportunity to teach children about safeguarding
For more detailed information, please come to one of our safeguarding webinars.
A copy of the full guidance can be found here.